Posted in Developing Psychic Abilities / The Spirit World on 12. Aug, 2008
‘How to Develop Clairsentience’ is the third article in this series. I’ve written about clairaudience and clairvoyance and now it’s time to talk about one of the more common intuitive gifts – clairsentience. In this article, I will talk about what clairsentience is, what it looks like in reality and how you can develop it.
What is Clairsentience?
Clairsentience means ‘clear-feeling’. It is perhaps the most down-to-earth of all the intuitive gifts. Most people use clairsentience on a daily basis. This looks like your feelings sending you intuitive guidance. Just to give a common example: you may experience a feeling of discomfort and then intuitively feel impulsed to look behind you only to see someone staring at you.
How Clairsentients Receive Intuitive Guidance:
Clairsentient guidance usually falls into one of three categories:
Gut feelings are strong emotional responses that feel almost physical – for example, a feeling of dread or a feeling of excitement. A sinking feeling in my gut means that something is not going to end well or is to be avoided. An uplifted, excited feeling in my gut means that I am on the right track. Hindsight will show you that gut feelings appear for a reason, often to warn you against something or someone. Gut feelings allow you to sense very quickly whether or not you like and trust someone.
Empathy is a psychic gift. It is the ability to pick up on the feelings of other people and know what it is like to be another person. Empathy can be a double-edged sword. It allows you to put yourself in other peoples’ shoes more easily. However, if you’re an unskilled empath, you can be like a sponge, absorbing and feeling emotions which aren’t your own. Do you ever experience overwhelming negative feelings which seem to have no cause? Then you could be feeling someone else’s feelings.
I have written articles on Empathy – including this one: Is Overactive Empathy Ruining your Life?
Clairsentience also speaks to you through sensations in your body - like tickling or pressure.
As clairsentience is one of my strongest gifts, I get impulsed all the time by my guides through physical sensations. Whenever I am tuning into spirit (talking to my spirit guides or higher self) and doing a reading, I get a strong tingling sensation on both sides of my head. I also get a prickling sensation on the top of my head.
How to Develop Your Clairsentience
Using your Clairsentience to Read Another Person
Here is a quick exercise you can do to develop your clairsentience further:
1. Ask a friend to show you a picture of somebody they know well (but make sure you don’t know the person in the picture)
2. Look into the person’s eyes and tune into their energy – how do they feel at the moment of the photo being taken? If this is the first time you have consciously used your clairsentience, you may just pick up on a basic negative or positive vibe.
3. Ask yourself what this individual is like as a person. Ask yourself whether you trust the person.
4.Is there anything else the person’s eyes are revealing?
5. Now check with your friend – how accurate were you?
This exercise involves getting hold of an object that someone has worn regularly, like a watch. All objects absorb energy from their owners and if you are clairsentient, you can tune into this energy residue. Hold the object in your hand for a minute or two. If the watch is holding a lot of strong positive or negative energy, you will probably pick up on that. You may also be able to feel what type of energy.
Listening to Your Chakras
This is an exercise for tuning into and reading your own energy. (it is best to do this exercise when you have some knowledge of the chakra system, as it makes it easier to do. Check out this article on the chakra system if you’re unfamiliar with it.) This exercise also helps to develop clairsentience because it makes you more sensitive to your emotions and feelings. Here are the steps:
1. Lie down or sit comfortably.
2. Open each chakra, beginning with the root chakra. Visualize each chakra as a coloured wheel spinning horizontally and bring the energy outwards, about one metre outside of your body.
3. Then ask yourself: how do I feel in this chakra? Ask each chakra one by one. See if you get any sensations in your body or emotions that are connected to the chakras.
The first time I did this, at the heart chakra (the centre of love and self-love) I felt a sense of hollowness which told me that I was taking care of everyone except myself. At my throat chakra (the centre of communication), it felt tight and constricted and I remembered I had something to say to someone that I had suppressed.
If you liked this article, you may like to read my (free) info-packed e-book on developing psychic abilities:
Do you think you have this gift? What are your experiences with developing clairsentience? – please share by leaving a comment!
- Learn to communicate with your spirit guides
- Know your life purpose & soul gifts
- Learn to read auras & know who other people really are